The David du Plessis Archives was founded in 1985 on the campus of Fuller Seminary. It is named after the South African Pentecostal ecumenist David du Plessis (1905-1987). After organizing the World Pentecostal Conference in Paris 1947, du Plessis moved to the United States and joined the Assemblies of God USA.
His ecumenical relations, especially with Catholics led to his estranged by his church. He was an official observer at the Second Vatican Council and participated in the Commission on Faith and Order of the World Council of Churches. He was the founding co-chair of the Roman Catholic/Pentecostal Dialogue.
Since the archive has expanded beyond the papers of David J. du Plessis to include materials from many different traditions. Currently, it contains materials from Renewal and Holiness movements, World Mission and Psychological materials (including the M. Scott Peck Collection and the Bob Pierce Papers). We have materials from the Jesus People Movement as well as papers from Fr. Duane Pederson and his Eastern Orthodox Prision ministries. We are also proud to host the Lloyd John Ogilvie Collection.
We strive to remain true to the ecumenical goal to which the archive was first established. In the future we hope to continue to house even more diverse materials, from even more traditions, so that we can properly reflect the true reality of God and God's great community of all believers.